Royal Porcelain Manufactory (KRM).
The transfer of the factory to another property -1763
After the transition of the Gotzkowsky factory to Frederick II, it became known as the Royal Porcelain Manufactory, and its brand from the very beginning was the royal scepter. At the same time, they began to look for their own deposits of kaolin clay. And already in 1765 such deposits were found in Silesia, and in 1771 they discovered beautiful kaolin clay in Bachwitz near Halle and in Zennewitz and Morla, and the Berlin manufactory uses these deposits to this day. Porcelain made of this clay has a bluish-white hue. At that time, the factory fulfilled numerous orders of the king, among which orders for service sets prevailed. In 1765 Frederick II ordered a service consisting of a large number of heterogeneous objects for the new palace in Potsdam. It took more than two and a half years to make this service. This service became a masterpiece of the factory, it perfectly suited the style of the entire palace, and each of the items had a charming and harmonious painting. Especially the same style of painting was on the plates. Elegant motifs of shells (rocaille) move from the edges to the middle, which is occupied by a bouquet of flowers. The margins of the edges of the plates, between the patterns of shells, are covered with a thin golden mesh on an orange-red background, golden twigs are placed on other fields on a yellow background. The predominant tones are purple-purple, yellow-green and brown-red, as well as fine gilding. In addition to the described "Potsdam" service, the factory has made many others for different royal residences, such as "green", "yellow", "red", "Japanese", "with a basket of flowers". Russian Russian Empress factory made in 1772 a golden-green service with miniatures depicting the victory of the Russians over the Turks for the gift of the king to the Empress.
During this period, Polish artist Daniel Chodovetsky also did decoration projects for the factory. In addition to royal orders, the factory produced mass-produced products, not so ornate, but cheaper and more accessible to the layman. In addition to table sets, coffee sets, decorative vases and glazed figurines were produced. However, the vases and figurines did not have the originality of forms and lightness that the products of some other manufactories of that time had - Meissen, Vienna or Sevres. In 1775, for a short time, the sculpture workshop was led by Johann Epstein. He made a number of figurines and groups of figurines, including Polish-themed ones. They depicted nobles in Polish costumes and horsemen with horses.
After the death of King Frederick II, classicism began to prevail in the style of products. When Elias Meyer died (1789), the sculptor Karl Friedrich Riese took his place. The products of this period are biscuits in the classical style, made mainly according to the projects of the famous sculptor Shado- va. The architect Hans Christian Genelli, a supporter of strict classicism, worked with Shadov. During this period there was a strong influence of Sevres and Wedgwood ceramics.
The portraits in medallions that decorated Berlin Empire tableware and cups are mostly the works of the sculptor Leonard Posh. The reaction to cold classicism was the Biedermeier style, which corresponds to the bourgeois love of convenience and comfort. The products of the Berlin factory in this style were widely marketed. These were mass-produced products, but with a certain specific charm of this era. Biedermeier tableware, made according to the designs of Karl Friedrich Schinkl, should be especially highlighted. In the middle of the XIX century . there was a decrease in the artistic level of products that increasingly resembled mass factory production. After a period of stagnation, the artist Alexander Kipe became the artistic director in 1886. During the twenty years of his work, the factory regained its former position. At the turn of the XIX-XX centuries, when Schmutz-Baudis became the head of the painting workshop, the technique of underglaze painting underglaze was widely used here, with the help of which interesting and spectacular objects were created. He invited the sculptor Paul Scheurich to Berlin, who often referred to the good Rococo tradition in his works. The current production of the Berlin factory is aimed at the production of decorative tableware and vases, with the main emphasis on simplicity and harmony of form. During the last war, the factory was moved to Zelb for a while, where its branch was located since the XVIII century. In 1955, the manufactory returned to its former location in Berlin (on the territory of the GDR), and it now bears the name "State Porcelain Manufactory in Berlin".
In the initial period, the products of the Royal Manufactory in Berlin were marked with the letters "KRM" (Konigliche Porzelcan Manufaktur) with a scepter or a Prussian eagle above the letters - the period of the king's reign. Later, a schematic drawing of a scepter was put as a brand, next to which there are often signs of artists or additional signs.